Itchy legs can be embarrassing at times especially if you are out in a meeting or spending time out with someone important in your life. There are various causes that can lead to itchy legs. Some of the common causes of itchy legs and treatment are listed below.
1. One of the reasons of having itchy legs which is common could be dry skin. Dryness of skin can be due to using soaps which don’t have moisturizer, can be genetic one, dehydration, taking a hot shower, not taking proper nutrition and old age symptoms.
Prevention can be done by hydrating yourself by drinking lots of water everyday, applying a good moisturizer after bath and avoid going out in sun without an umbrella.
2. Some people are not in a habit of maintaining a proper hygiene, sweat and dust can lead to bacterial growth and thus skin becomes itchy.
Prevention can be done by taking shower daily preferably with lukewarm water and using soaps which has moisturizer.
3. Cholinergic Urticaria is due to allergy are the red swollen bumps on the skin. Running, walking or taking hot shower can lead to Cholinergic Urticaria.Some times people allergic to sweat.
To prevent Cholinergic Urticaria you need to avoid taking hot shower, take lukewarm shower, don’t run when you have itching and wear well fitted clothes no tight fitting. Take histamines if the itching continues.
4. Folliculitis occurs due to bacteria Staphylococcus aureus and is the infection of hair follicles which is red and itchy on thighs or butts. Occurs mostly among athletes as they wear tight fitting clothes. Itching goes away in few days if proper hygiene is maintained.
Treatment can be done by using anti bacterial soaps or ointments.
5. Chicken bumps or Keratosis Pilarisis is thickening of hair follicles on thighs, upper arm or any other part of your body and is hereditary in nature and are itchy. However bumps go away after but can occur again.
6. Leg Itch in Unfit Runners happens to those who start running after a long time as
The itching starts soon after they start running. This is said due to the fact that the arteries have to open fast due to increase in the demand of blood. The itching goes away soon after proper training.
7. Leg itch after shower is due to taking bath with hot shower, may be due to cholinergic urticaria, and skin disease like dermatitis, blood diseases or psychological reasons.
Prevention and treatment can be done by taking bath with lukewarm water, use of moisturizing creams and use of antihistamines.
8. Tinea crusis occurs in inner thighs highs, genitals or buttocks, often found in athletes and is a fungal infection.
Treatment is done by using antifungal medicines. Itchy pants syndrome happens by wearing synthetic pants which May itch.Prevention is done by wearing cotton pants.
9. Gravitational Eczema is swollen itchy skin on lower legs found in people suffering from varicose veins.
Treatment can be done by using Corticosteroid ointment and avoid standing for long hours.
10. Restless leg syndrome occurs when legs itch when at rest and it disturbs your sleep. It can be rectified by going for a small walk. Alcohol and caffeine should be avoided in such cases.