We know that lemonade or lemon juice is a refreshing drink at any time of day. Modern research has broadened the possibilities of using lemon. It was found for example that lemon essential oil is very effective for treating colds.
Lemon juice with water and sugar is one of the best drinks that can be consumed when a person has fever. Sugar can be replaced with honey. Because this fruit is low in sodium, it can be used as flavoring the diets that should not include salt.
The pulp resulted from juicing has a beneficial effect on the skin and can relieve symptoms of insect bites and stings. If you add equal parts of water and glycerin, the mixture can be used for maintaining hands skin beauty.
2. Diseases that can be treated with lemon
- Urinary infections – Lemon juice has a slightly alkaline effect on the body and helps restore normal pH of urine.
- High blood pressure – Potassium in lemon juice helps regulate body fluids, while the magnesium found in its composition relaxes the arteries. Lemon juice contains flavonoids, nutrients known for maintaining healthy blood vessels. Effect of lemon juice for hypertension is similar to that of inhibitors for enzyme convert of angiotensin.
- Varicose veins – Lemon juice can act as a venous tonic that strengthens, tightens and has anti-inflammatory effect on the vein walls. Foot massage can be done with a mixture of two drops of lemon, two of lavender and three drops of essential oils of cypress, along with two tablespoons of sweet almond oil or other cream.
- Indigestion and heartburn – Lemon juice makes fried foods more digestible because its acids emulsify fats. Lemon juice and pulp are broken down in the body to manufacture potassium carbonate which helps reduce stomach acid. For this purpose, drink a mixture of one tablespoon of lemon juice and a glass of warm water.
- Cough – Lemon juice effect is known for its role in combating cold symptoms. To relieve cough you should drink homemade lemonade or you can mix two tablespoons flaxseed powder with half a lemon sliced and will cook in half a liter of water for 20 minutes. Then the mixture will slip and will sweeten with honey.
- Psoriasis – Experts have found that citric acid in lemon juice relieves symptoms of psoriasis, helps skin retain water and stimulates exfoliation of dead cells. Apply lemon juice over specific psoriasis crusts several times a day and then the skin is exposed to sunlight for several minutes a day, increasing the time of exposure over several weeks.
- Constipation – Lemons are rich in pectin, a type of fiber that forms a gel that facilitates intestinal peristaltic movements.
Lemon juice can be beneficial to anyone’s health, especially in cold periods. Vitamin C is vital for strengthening the immune system. Lemon juice is recommended for prevention and treatment of various diseases, such as colds, flu, recurrent ear infections. Due to the high content of vitamin C, researchers have linked the consumption of lemons with a decreased risk of death from cancer and cardiovascular problems.